Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Clean Eating #18: No bread:( Homemade Chocolate Protein Bars Recipe

I was supposed to make bread today from an amazing cookbook that a commenter Mama J recommended, the book is AWEmazing and I am excited as all get out to use it... but I ran out of yeast and I am too stubborn to leave the house just to go buy yeast when I already have to go into town later anyway... Seriously, I picked this book up in the store intending to take a quick look and I sat and read the ENTIRE thing.  It was a fascinating take on baking bread.  No kneading, wonderful recipes and you can have fresh baked bread every day!
Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients
 Anyway, no bread, so we tried something else instead:

Homemade Chocolate Protein Bars
Modified from this recipe Oatmeal Protein Bars

Verdict:  The actual taste is what I was worried about, because I couldn't picture the yogurt tasting good in that mixture... but I couldn't even taste it.  I actually liked the taste, but the texture killed it for me.  Ugh.  Not my thing.  Not my husband's thing.  He actually took one bite and spit it out.  And he's not terribly picky about much of anything except protein powders, I guess.  The only kid I could get to try it was Abyni... and she said:
After reading the comments, I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong, because mine don't look anything like the ones in the picture, either.  Those look more like cake-looking things.  Mine are more soft and almost gooey.

Fail.  Again.

Ingredients & Recipe
•4 cups Rolled Oats
•1 cup crunchy Peanut Butter
•2 cups non-fat Greek Yogurt
•3 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
•2 tablespoons Cinnamon
•2 tablespoons Stevia
•2 bananas

Heat wet ingredients in a pan on the stove on medium heat until liquified.  Stir in protein powder and oatmeal.  Pour into a 9x9 pan and refrigerate until solid.   

What I'd do differently next time:  I may give it a chance because it may have just been the texture of our particular protein powder.  I LOVE the texture of my protein powder in a shake, it gets fluffy, like a souffle/yummy pudding type thing.  That was NOT a good texture for a protein bar.  It seemed like it might be good, it looked like we were making rice crispie treats on the stove. YUM!  I may try again someday with a different protein powder and something... crunchy in it. Maybe sesame seeds, some flax and definitely NO bananas!!
 It definitely wasn't as bad as my hubby thought... and it may grow on me (I can't bring myself to throw food away:) and it was better when we rolled it up and covered it with granola.  Definitely needed the crunchy.  And it would probably taste really good with some flaked coconut as well.

So, any suggestions for homemade clean protein bars are welcome.